The wait is over and the Pixel 4A here. We covered the rumors of the Pixel 4A and now we can see the phone in full flesh.
The pixel 4a will start shipping from August 20 which is a bit late and google says it’s due to the coronavirus. There’s only one variant available, 6GB + 128GB and it is priced at $349 (roughly Rs. 26,200) in the US.
Google Pixel 4A Launching in India in October via Flipkart.
More variants will be launched soon from Google, like Pixel 4A 5G which will cost you $499 and the pixel 5 and there is no detail available in terms of the pricing.
Google Pixel 4A Specifications.
- Display – OLED 5.81 inches, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 443 PPI, HDR
- 60Hz refresh rate
- OS – Android 10
- Chipset – Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G
- Memory – 128GB 6GB RAM UFS 2.1
- Main Camera – Single 12.2 MP, f/1.7 Wide
- Selfie Camera – 8 MP, f/2.0, Wide
- Battery – 3140 mAh, Fast charging 18W
This pixel phone is very basic like there is nothing like a 90Hz display, fast charging. The fun part is that there is no weird software and its compact.
This phone reminds us of the phones that were launched under the Android One platform.
The Pixel 4A costs $349 and that is a great price proposition to make. The pure Google experience right out of the box and that too this cheap.
- The important feature of this phone apart from the operating system is the camera. The camera is really good and it comes with a single 12.2MP camera and the front-facing camera is the 8MP with the hole punch layout.
- Google never goes for the top of the line camera hardware but the making use of better use of that hardware with computational photography.
The pixel 4A outputs good low light photos, night sight, HDR. The Pixel 4A outperforms the Apple iPhone SE in the low light performance. There is no wide or telephoto lens and those secondary cameras are not that good as the main sensor especially in the inexpensive phones. That is the main reason why Google never put those lenses on this phone.
The camera is an important feature of this phone and it is pretty comparable with the phones that cost $1200.
- Images take longer to process on the Pixel 4A due to the absence of the image which results in the long wait.
- The Pixel 4A comes with only one size which is a 5.8″ screen with a hole punch and the display is the OLED 1080p. There is a fingerprint scanner at the back and thank goodness this phone comes with the headphone jack.
- The pixel 4a has a plastic body and gorilla glass 3 for screen protection. There are not so many color options available with this phone and you’re stuck with black. There are two stereo speakers one at the top and one at the bottom of the device.
- The OLED panel on this phone looks nice and the colors are a little worm but the bezels are so small, unlike the Apple iPhone SE which comes with the chunky forehead and chin.
The features that are missing in this phone.
- The wireless charging. Looking at the price it seems obvious that Google was going to skip this feature.
- There is no squeeze effect that brings up Google assistance.
- No higher refresh rate screens, multiple cameras, and water resistance.
The most essential thing is the battery life of this phone and the Pixel 4A comes with the 3140 mAh battery and it will give you the full day worth run time.
The Snapdragon 730G and this chipset draw less power and this is not a 5G phone. This chipset performs well and the operations take time to load but it’s not something very crucial.
This phone comes with Googles own version of android OS which is simple and clean.
Google is promising 3 years of regular software updates for the pixel 4A.
The Pixel 4a is cheap in terms of cost and in terms of the camera and the overall performance it doesn’t feel cheap. Keep in mind this phone is not as fast as the iPhone SE but it costs less.
The pixel 4A gets the basics right and that’s what matters the most if you’re tired of the bloatware and the sluggish UI of your current smartphone then you should try this new phone from google which is not that expensive.