Huawei unveiled its updated Mate XS foldable phone on Monday, February 24 at a press conference.
A new competitor in the market of foldable phones, and this one looks promising with all its specs and why we feel like that we will discuss it in depth.
The important aspect of this folding phone is that the crease is less noticeable!!
The foldable phone comes with the quad-camera system and a flash, a release button to expand the phone. USB type C and stereo speaker one at the bottom and one at the earpiece. Dual Sim support with IR blaster, volume rocker, and a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, which can be used as the power button as well.
The phone is designed in such a way that it manages to keep the dust away. The company has managed to put the dirt protection at the pivot point of the display.
Huawei Mate XS Specifications.
- Display – Foldable OLED 8.0 inches, 2200 x 2480 pixels, 414 PPI, HDR10+
- Folded cover display – 6.6″, AMOLED, 1148 x 2480 pixels
- OS – Android 10, EMUI 10, no Google Play Services
- Chipset – Kirin 990 5G (7 nm+)
- Memory – 512GB 8GB RAM UFS 2.1
- Main Camera – 40 MP, f/1.8, (Wide) | 8 MP, f/2.4, (telephoto) | 16 MP, f/2.2 (ultrawide) | TOF 3D, (depth).
- Selfie Camera – No – uses the main camera.
- Battery – 4500 mAh, Fast charging 55W, 85% in 30 min
- Colors – Interstellar Blue.
It has a beautiful unfolded 8-inch display, which looks stunning and sharp when folded; it becomes a smartphone with a 6.6-inch Main screen display, and also it gives you the Secondary Screen 6.38-inch.
The unfolded 8-inch display has a 2480 x 2200 resolution with 414 PPI density, and the 6.6-inch Main screen display has a 2480 x 1148 resolution. The secondary screen comes with the 2480 x 892 resolution.
The main highlight of the display is that it comes with the quad-layer display technology, but it still is a plastic.
Huawei claims that it is using aerospace-grade polymer for its display. It comes with a pre-applied screen protector that no one should try to peel it off.
Huawei has put its own in-house SOC in this particular device, which is HUAWEI Kirin 990 5G Octa-core Processor. It is paired with the 16-Core Mali-G76 GPU. We will talk about its performance later in the blog.
Huawei Mate XS has 8 GB RAM and 512 GB ROM, and you can expand it up to 256 GB with the help of an SD Card.
Huawei Mate XS comes with the 4500 mAh battery inside of it, and it is divided between two halves of the phone, and more importantly, this phone supports Huawei’s new high-speed charging technology. It comes with the 55W supercharger, which charges the phone 0-85% in 30 mins only.
Huawei Mate XS comes with the Leica Quad Camera setup with 40 MP primary camera with no optical image stabilization and manages to use the AI features of the phone to stabilize the video output, 16 MP Ultra-wide camera, 8 MP Telephoto Camera and HUAWEI Time-of-Flight Camera for portrait effects.
Huawei Mate XS has over 150 moving parts inside of its hinge, and this is a bit strong and upgraded design over its predecessor, which is Huawei Mate X. There is a dedicated release button to unfold the phone, unlike Samsung’s design of foldable.
Since Google has lost its deal with Huawei as its software program, and therefore Huawei managed to build its version of the OS, which is EMUI 10.0.1, and it is the open-source version of the Android 10.
It comes with the same features as Android, just a few customizations here and there.
You can swipe in from the side, and you can see a multitasking bar and whatever app you drag form it, and it immediately becomes the second window, and most importantly, you can add the third app too, but it becomes the floating app over the others two.
The phone works well under the EMUI 10.0.1, and the app access is limited, but there are ways where you can use the app with the help of Huawei’s App gallery and other 3rd party options.
Huawei Mate XS Camera
- Well, this foldable phone comes well equipped in terms of the camera system.
- The quad-camera system works as the primary camera, as well as the selfie camera.
- That means you can take beautiful shots of the world around you and your sexy selfie as well.
- The 3X optical zoom gives can provides five times hybrid zoom, which uses a combination of optical and digital zoom, so what that means is it can give you 30 times digital zoom.
- Mirror mode helps you to take photos of someone and let them see how they look, helping them to pose properly.
- The critical point here is that you can use the primary camera for selfies as well as for casual photography.
- For the portrait mode, there’s a dedicated 3D depth sensor that lets you take beautiful photos.
This foldable phone packs 4500 mAh, and it is split between two cells that divide both sides of the phone.
The camera, chipset, and antennas are put inside of the side block of the phone, and it needs better cooling.
This phone is using the triple cooling system with a flexible graphite layer that helps to keep the batteries cool and vapor chamber inside the side block.
The phone is well equipped for the future with its 5G capabilities and has a different approach for the folding display technology. We loved the way Huawei managed to design the phone in such a way that it will stand out in terms of other competitors.
The hinge has a powerful spring-loaded mechanism that helps it to unfold.
The important thing is that the phone folds outward, and there is no protection to it.
Huawei has managed to put the quad-layer display for better protection. How this phone holds against scratches and dirt only time will tell.
The sale for Huawei Mate XS will start from March 5, and it is priced around $2400.