Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G is here and like this phone last year’s fold created a hype around the folding smartphones and it was a disaster due to its miserable design. All reviewers returned their units right after they received it.
One thing you have to admit and that is the design of this smartphone and it was very impressive. The last year’s fold wasn’t perfect in terms of design and it had many flaws but this year’s refresh looks promising.
Samsung Galaxy Z fold 2 5G Specifications.
|Key Specs||Samsung Galaxy Z fold 2 5G|
|Display||7.6 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X capacitive touchscreen with 120Hz refresh rate | Cover display: 6.23″, Super AMOLED 60Hz refresh rate|
|Resolution||1768 x 2208 Pixels- 373 PPI, 816 x 2260 Pixels|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass Victus|
|OS||Android 10, One UI 2.5|
|Chipset||Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+|
|Main Camera||12 MP, f/1.8, (wide) Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS | 12 MP, f/2.4 (telephoto) PDAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom | 12 MP, f/2.2, 123˚ (ultrawide)|
|Selfie Camera||10 MP, f/2.2, (wide) | Cover camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, (wide)|
|Battery||4500 mAh, Fast charging 25W | Fast wireless charging 11W | Reverse wireless charging 4.5W|
|Color||Mystic Bronze, Mystic Black, Thom Browne Edition, Aston Martin Racing Edition|
|Models||SM-F916B, SM-F916U, SM-F916U1|
This new Fold from Samsung comes with lots of changes and improvements over the last year’s fold. On the first Fold, we had a smaller 4.6-inch display on the front side of it and on the new Fold, it is a 6.2-inch Super AMOLED 60Hz display with 386 PPI density with small bezels and with a punch-hole camera.
When unfolded you can see the massive 7.6-inch Dynamic AMOLED Infinity-O display and it supports 120Hz refresh rate. With the high refresh rate, things are going to look more refined on the bigger display and with the adaptive display it is going to shift from 11Hz to 120Hz depending upon the content and it will help in terms of the battery life.
- The ultra-thin glass makes its way to the new Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G and this ultra-thin glass first appeared on the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip.
- This ultra-thin glass technology combines glass and plastic to make it fold. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 comes with the pre-applied screen protector helping it from minor scratches.
- The cover display is going to use Gorilla Glass Victus and this is the most durable glass on smartphones and the back of the phone there is Gorilla Glass 6 and it’s quite confusing why Samsung choose to use this glass.
- The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G comes with the aluminum frame and there’s a fingerprint scanner and it is a side-mounted one.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G will be coming with two color options Mystic Bronze, Mystic Black and there is a separate edition which is Thom Browne Edition. With the new Galaxy Fold Z Fold 2, you will be able to customize the hinge with different colors, and you’ll able to do it while preordering the device.
The hinge has been improved this time and it comes with a sweeper technology, there are tiny fibers inside the chassis which helps to keep away the dust from entering into the device. The hinge gap is smaller and it is made up of 60 parts and it allows you to open the device and keep it in the folded state whichever it is. You can fold it around 75˚ and 115˚ and Samsung is calling it as Flex Mode.
- There are two cameras one on the cover display and one on the main display with the same camera units and it is 10MP with f2.2 for quick selfies video recording.
- On the rear, there is a triple camera setup with a primary, ultra-wide, and telephoto zoom camera. The primary camera comes with Optical Image Stabilization with dual pixel autofocus. The telephoto camera has an f 2.4 aperture and it has 2 times optical zoom with up to 10 times digital zoom.
- You can use this triple camera setup as the main camera with the help of Dual View and this will use the cover display to show the viewfinder from the rear-facing camera as well as on the main display. If you’re taking someone else’s photo then they will be able to see what you’re filming.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G will be supporting the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ chipset across the board and there will be no separate Exynos version.
The hardware on this device makes it a complete multitasking beast. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G has Android 10 with the One UI making it capable of multitasking with features like app continuity and if you have an app on the cover display and when you open up the device it is going to continue on the main display. Samsung also improved multi-active windows and with this feature, you can have three apps open at the same time and split across three windows. You can run two apps at the same time quite like Microsoft’s Surface Duo.
- Samsung has been working with Microsoft to optimize its PowerPoint apps which will give you a tablet-like experience.
- The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G comes with the Wireless DeX support which will let you connect with the external display.
- The 4500 mAh battery is split across the display and it has high dynamic stereo speakers which are very loud.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G is set to preorders from 2nd Sept and it comes with a price tag of $1999.
This is still a high price for this device and it is lower compared to the Fold 1 and it is offering more than the previous Galaxy Fold.